Here are some fascinating facts about India
1) The games of snakes and ladders and chess were invented in India. Shampoo was also invented in India.
2) India is also the birthplace of Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus and the number zero. Quadratic equations were used in India in the 11th century. The value of Pi was also discovered in India in the 6th century itself, long before Europeans discovered it.
3) The only floating post office in the world is in Dal Lake in Srinagar in India.
4) India has the largest percentage of vegetarians in the world.
5) India is the second-largest English speaking country in the world, only after the USA.
6) India is the largest milk producer in the world.
7) India has over 300000 mosques and those destructive anti-Indian elements who question India’s secularism would do well to consider this fact.
8) Indian Railways transport roughly the same number of people every day as the total population of Australia.
9) The decimal system was invented in India in 100 BC.
10) Martial arts originated in India and then spread to China and other countries by Buddhist monks.
11) Yoga originated in India and has been in existence for about 5000 years.
12) Christopher Columbus had set out to reach India because he had heard lots about the fabulous wealth of India. Before the British colonial rule, India was one of the richest countries in the world. Columbus, however, reached America by mistake.
13) Surgeries like plastic surgery, cataracts, brain surgeries, artificial limbs, etc. were conducted in India for almost 2600 years. The use of anaesthesia was well known in ancient Indian medical practice.
14) The religions Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism were all born in India.
15) The Karni Mata temple in the state of Rajasthan is home to thousands of rats. The rats are regarded as sacred by the temple visitors and are never harmed by anyone.
16) India has a spa just for elephants, where elephants receive massage, baths and food. The Spa is the Punnathoor Cotta Elephant Yard Rejuvenation Centre in Kerala.
17) Sugar extraction and purification techniques were first discovered in India and many other countries learned the technique from Indians.
18) India has the largest number of post offices in the world. It also has the highest cricket ground in the world in Chail in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
19) India is truly a peace-loving nation—in the last 10000 years, it has never invaded any country.
20) Till 1896, India was the only source of diamonds in the world.
21) Varanasi, a city almost 5000 years old is located in India. It is perhaps the oldest city in the world and a very sacred place for Hindus.
22) Foreigners cannot take Indian currency out of India as it is illegal to do so.
23) India ranks 4th in the list of global firepower, next only to the USA, Russia and China.
24) Indian army soldiers are considered the best in the world in Mountain and High altitude warfare. The Indian Army’s High Altitude Warfare School (HAWS) is one of the most elite army training schools in the world and soldiers from the USA, UK, Russia are sent here to be trained in mountain warfare. Special forces from the USA were trained here before the invasion of Afghanistan.
25) The 2020 Global Firepower report ranks the Indian Armed Forces as the 4th most powerful military in the world.
Many inventions and discoveries in the fields of Science, Mathematics, Astronomy, etc. were made in ancient India, but credit is not given to the Indian geniuses behind them. This is so because India came under the colonial rule of the British, and Indian history was severely distorted. The credit for many remarkable achievements of ancient India has been usurped by colonial powers and Western countries. It is time that India is honoured and is given credit for its many, many contributions to humankind.
Browse my personal blog